Tuesday, August 16, 2005

We are SlAM-ese if you PlEASE


We are SlAM-ese if you don't PlEASE. Visiting my buddy on Mott St. just north of Houston in Manhattan, I was warned "PlEASE Don't Let Door SlAM" as I exited his apartment building. Not knowing exactly what it meant, I had to assume that the sign was referring to the country of Siam, now known as Thailand. Putting two and two together, I reasoned that the author was probably using an obscure Asian form of Cockney Rhyming Slang: Since the word "Thai" means "freedom", and Thailand is Siam, as I was instructed "Don't Let Door SlAM", this must be a plea to not let the door be open and free. So, with haste and great force, I closed the door with a loud and reassuring BANG, pleased that I was able to interpret such a poignant message.

No comments: